Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Yakov E. Netsvetov School

My school is the Yakov E. Netsvetov School. For a school that has probably never had more than two dozen students at a time, it is remarkably well-equipped. There is a large gym with a weight room. Also off the gym is a woodworking shop. A long hallway has display cases on one side. On the other side are offices and storage rooms. The hallway opens up into the rather large Library/Media Center. At the front end of the Library is a stage. The center space is open, save for some tables, so that it can be used to seat an audience for programs. Rooms on the perimeter of the Library include more storage rooms, a full kitchen for cooking classes, and a well-equipped science lab. At each of the four "corners" of the Library is a classroom. One was used for the Native Alaskan curriculum, including Unangax language studies. That teacher retired, so we don't know yet how we'll use that room. One room is an Art room; the cabinets in there are stuffed with many kinds of art materials. The last two rooms are the homerooms of the primary and secondary classes.

As of today, we have 11 students enrolled: one kindergarten, one 1st, three 2nd, one 5th, one 6th, one 7th, two 9th, and one 10th. There are 3 others we've heard may be coming, but we won't know until they show up. Or don't! Since there's a gap between the three 2nd graders and the 5th grader, I'll have the students in grades 5-12, while my partner will have the students in grades K-4.

The Math curriculum we use is designed for homeschoolers. That allows the students to learn pretty independently. They watch lessons on a DVD, then do the relevant pages in the text. My job is to check their work to make sure they understand what they're doing and provide help when they don't. The curriculum goes up to Algebra II; my highest student is in Pre-Algebra.

We use a pretty structured reading program for the primary students. Usually, the secondary program builds on trade books. My 5th grade student is probably the brightest student in the school in terms of ability, so she'll be able to handle the secondary program. I don't know if the 6th grader will be able to handle it, or if he'll need to use the higher levels of the packaged program.

I chose the texts for Science and Social Studies based on what the high school students need by the time they graduate and what they had last year. I also chose subjects that I think align pretty well so that I can design projects with overlap. I'll be teaching Earth Science and World Geography. After we've done the physical geography chapters and move on to the regions and cultures chapters, I may also be able to align World Geography with World Literature.

The classes combine for two periods a day, last thing in the morning before lunch and last thing in the day before dismissal. One of those periods will be for P.E. with my partner. The other period is when I'll be teaching a Fine/Cultural Arts class, which will include Music, Movement/Dance, Visual Art, and Drama. Teaching so that the little ones can keep up and the older ones aren't bored is going to be a big challenge. I had hoped to include reading music as a goal, but I don't think I can do it with pre-literate students!

So that's what I'll be doing starting Tuesday. Some of it is straight forward; some I have to create as I go, and some is a little of both, like teaching three intermediate students using high school materials. I don't entirely know what to expect this year, but I know it won't be boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment