We had one storm that was so strong it kept me awake until 2 a.m., though I tried to go to sleep around 11. The wind kept rattling the house while the rain beat against the windows and door! I thought sure the rain was coming in my bedroom window. Even the locals were talking about how bad the storm was the next day.
Yesterday, the rain and wind suddenly picked up out of nowhere. We could hear ice beating against the windows. The kids were saying to each other that it was too bad I wouldn't let them go look at the rain. Ha! We stood at the back door, trying to see if it was hail, sleet, or freezing rain. Three of the kids decided to venture out from the eaves. They asked if they could come back in by way of the front door (we were at the back door). I told them they could. Two minutes later, three wet, happy kids came in. Five minutes later, the sky was clear.
I now understand the meaning of the word "squall." It's a very localized, brief storm that's very intense. Rain is common here, and it's usually intense, but short-lived. We might call it a shower. However, it takes a certain combination of wind and rain to qualify as a squall. I think we are now leaving showers behind and trading them in for squalls.
![]() |
| More fresh snow! This time it covers the peaks. |
Oh, and today our VPSO (Village Public Safety Officer, the local law enforcement guy) did the school's annual presentation on "Drop, Cover, Hold." That's what we're supposed to do in case of an earthquake. Drop to the floor, preferably under a piece of furniture. Cover your head. Hold onto the furniture so it doesn't move away from you.
Squalls and earthquakes? I'm just hoping the volcano doesn't wake up!

No comments:
Post a Comment