Sunday, November 22, 2015

A Little Perspective

A colleague on the next island got a pilot to take these pictures of Atka for her. They show better than I could ever tell just how small the world seems from here. The "cul-de-sac" is the "new" village, where nearly everyone lives, except of course the teachers, who live near the school. The buildings along the beach road include the store and the post office. Just at the end of the road, before it turns to the right, is the cannery. It's a seafood processing plant that doesn't actual produce anything in cans, but I guess "cannery" is easier to say than "seafood processing plant."


This is a closer view of the cannery. They employ fishermen who bring their loads up to the dock, as well as people to work on the line. They also take finished product out to the dock where it goes on boats to barges in the next bay.

This is a view of the village from the bay. At the far right is the airport. The red roofed building beside the airport is the school. My house is the one on the right in front of the school. Then come the store, post office, and assorted buildings.

When I figure out how, I'll repost these pics with symbols to identify all the various locations. Meanwhile, maybe this will give you a better frame of reference for how tiny our village really is, as well as how beautiful it is!



No comments:

Post a Comment