Sunday, January 31, 2016

Puppy Love

Tufa in her playpen
Kartufala, a.k.a. Tufa, is about 3 months old. We're working pretty hard on the house training thing. It's been an expensive proposition to keep her contained. She has a crate, but I also had to get her a play pen. She can climb out of it. I'm waiting for the cover to arrive. Sure hope that's enough to keep her in it.

She doesn't make messes in her personal spaces, but I also have to be sure to get her outside regularly. It's a little hard when the weather's bad, but then she found the spot under my porch that isn't walled in. Now, when the weather's bad, she has an outside potty with a roof. Yeah, she's smart.

Cody and Tufa jaw wrestling
She also has sharp, pointed teeth which she uses. Often. She's learning that it's not nice to bite Momma's face. Hands. Feet. There is also a limit on what things she's allowed to chew. Any of the dozen or so toys lying on the floor is allowed; my slippers are not, especially when I'm wearing them. Of course, she still chooses the slippers. Every time.

This is Buddy. He belongs to the maintenance guy.
Look at his face, then look at Tufa's. No doubt he's the dad.
She's now as big as Shadow. Her tail now curls over her back. She looks just like her father. She knows her name. And "no." You know, the things she hears often. Unfortunately what I hear often is the yap yap yap of a puppy who thinks she might get her way if she barks for long enough.

The pack dynamic seems to be that Cody is the leader, and Shadow and Tufa are equal siblings. Cody and Tufa play a game that's mostly about grabbing each other in their jaws. Shadow gets Tufa to chase him, then he hides so she goes past him. He gets her attention, then gets her to chase him again.

There have even been 1 or 2 nights when she let me sleep all night before waking me to go outside. She isn't very cuddly, but she can be sweet. I guess as she gets older, she'll be easier to live with and to handle. For now, I guess it's a good thing she's cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment