![]() |
| I'm surrounded by so much beauty. Here's the waterfall I see and hear when I open my front door. |
She has another student who cries, screams, runs away, throws things, and tries to hit or kick when he doesn't get what he wants. Watching his face, though, it's obvious that he's totally in control of himself and is merely being manipulative to get out of a situation he doesn't like. Again, I have the older sibling, who pretty much acts the same way, but at a verbal rather than physical level. The parents are first cousins, so I'm betting that there's some faulty wiring. The only good news is that the kids in the family all seem to be quite gifted.
![]() |
| Here's the same waterfall, frozen for the winter. Cold, but no less beautiful. |
Over the weekend, my partner decided to stay until a replacement could be found. Although I emailed the superintendent 2 or 3 times, I didn't hear from him until Sunday. I wasn't part of the discussion of what to do next, though I'm glad the solution didn't involve me at all.
On Thursday, I got a nasty email from the superintendent, scolding me because, according to a parent, I hadn't yet distributed information for an upcoming field trip. The parent information meeting was held on Wednesday evening. He was also scolding me because this parent said I wasn't using the District benchmarks, which inform everything I do in my classroom. When I called him on scolding me without first verifying the information, he said that if I had an issue, I needed to call him or else he couldn't know that there was a problem. Not really sure what he's referring to there; the parent had a problem, but I didn't. I pointed out that he knew that I was upset and concerned last weekend, but he did nothing to communicate with me. His response was that he didn't know I was upset. It takes a special kind of stupid not to recognize that when one half of a team quits, the other half is going to be affected!
I've learned what my limits are in dealing with bad bosses. I'm not able to ignore being treated harshly. (Look up INFP on the Myers-Briggs.) I'm much happier being ignored. And I require a certain amount of acknowledgement for the good things I do, like being interviewed for two magazines based on my class's accomplishments. Winning a $12k grant. Making connections to the community, including monthly Family Movie Nights. Things my boss doesn't seem to know about for all that he's mentioned them.
So, it looks like we are both leaving. Her departure is imminent, while mine is only theoretical. Perhaps the situation can be salvaged. I hope so. I've had such success this year, and so many plans for next year. I love this job, even though it consumes my whole life. I was even happy, for a little while.


No comments:
Post a Comment