I've described previously how dependent we are on the 3x/week mail planes. They transport mail, freight, and especially people to and from our little island, weather permitting. Unfortunately, the weather frequently doesn't permit, which causes problems. Hearing the plane as it comes in for a landing creates excitement. Everyone who can hops on their bike (ATV) and rides to the airport. They all want to see who or what came in on the plane.
Imagine, then, the excitement when the first barge of the season arrives. Barges only come April to November; the water is too ice-clogged the rest of the year. Not that Atka has any harbor ice, but other spots along the route do. I don't know where exactly the barge originates.
Items that are too big or too heavy for the plane arrive by barge. Vehicles. Lumber. Furniture. Stock for the store. People know what items will be there, and they send crews to the dock to unload it. Once it's here, the barge only stays as long as it takes to unload it. The process takes 6-8 hours. Each different recipient sends a crew of helpers.
If I thought people got excited about the plane's arrival, that was nothing next to the reaction when we got word that the barge was coming. We had visitors on the island, and even they were excited. Everyone seemed to be expecting something. The Village Public Safety Officer (VPSO) was getting a new bike. The City was getting lumber for 2 new houses to be built this summer. The store had a ton of stuff coming. Everyone was checking the latest news on how far away the barge was.
The barge arrived around 1:00 on Thursday. Two of my students were hired to unload. Another student had to care for her little brother so her mother could put things away at the store; her grandparents own the store. I was left with 3 students. With no advance notice, I didn't have anything planned that half my class could miss. I sent one student to help in the primary classroom as a Reading Buddy. Another student helped the visitors bake cupcakes for a community meeting. The third worked on Math.
It was a generally exciting event, though I had no reason to get excited about it. Still, it's always nice to get a stress-free, lesson-free, half day like that! They can barge in any old time!
No comments:
Post a Comment