Saturday, June 25, 2016

All the News that Barks!

My life is generally quiet and uneventful. If it weren't for the three dogs who live with me, it would be downright boring. No chance of that happening!

Cody checks to make sure I'm still
following him.
Cody loves his life here in Atka. He's been quite sad since my teaching partner left for the summer; her dog Sam is Cody's best friend. Sam is spending the summer up in the village proper, and rarely comes down to visit. Cody goes over to their old house and searches for Sam, whimpering as he does. I tell him that Sam is gone, but Cody knows he's still around, just not "here." However, Cody is a busy dog with things to do. He shakes off his sadness and starts his rounds of exploration. As long as he doesn't go into the village, he's free to go wherever he likes; the village itself has a leash law. I'm not sure how Cody knows that, but he never goes into the village. Or, rather, if he has ever gone there, no one's told me so.
Shadow has to check, too!

Shadow also has a lot of freedom. The fact that he's roughly 1/6th Cody's size doesn't seem to inhibit him in any way. The only danger he faces is from the eagles. About 2 weeks ago, a friend showed up at my door with Shadow under his arm. He'd found the little guy a half mile down the road, toward the village. He wouldn't have noticed Shadow, except there were eagles circling him overhead. He grabbed Shadow and brought him home before the eagles could snatch him. It's early in the season yet; the salmon aren't running, and the eagles are hungry. For a few days after that, I walked Shadow on his leash. When I let him wander free again, I kept him in sight. As long as he returns when I call him, I can let him be free. If he doesn't respond to my voice commands, I put him back on the leash for a walk or two. It's amazing how obedient he becomes when he again has freedom. I sure hope the salmon hurry up!

What a sweet face! I think she looks like a miniature golden
retriever with a curly tail.
Scamp is now an adolescent pup. She hasn't been well-socialized to humans, mostly because there are few humans or opportunities for socialization in Atka. There is now a group of scientists living in the empty houses around us and working at the school. Scamp has been barking at the strangers. Then she started barking at their numerous vehicles. And then she started chasing the vehicles. I had to walk her on leash just to keep her safe. I kept her on leash in the house, too, because she wasn't responding to me anymore when we were outside.

Keeping Scamp on her leash all the time was exactly what she needed. The strategy is that being under my control at all times teaches her that all good things come from me. All bad things come from me, too. Her life is better when she behaves in a way that pleases me, so she learns to behave the way I want her to. Now when we go outside, she willingly approaches the scientists, tail wagging. She ignores their vehicles, except to get out of the way if they're moving toward her. Inside, she initiates play with me. We play Tug and Fetch. When I tried to teach her Fetch a few weeks ago, she wasn't interested. Now she brings me Ellie, her hot pink stuffed elephant, over and over for me to toss in the air.

Cody and Scamp play rough!
When I take all the dogs out for a walk, with Scamp on her leash, we set off single file, with Cody in the lead. He knows where he wants to go. If I don't head in the direction Cody is "suggesting," he turns around and follows us. He eventually ends up in front again, since Scamp wants to sniff everything and thus slows us down. Shadow trots along behind, keeping me in sight. It's an odd canine version of Follow the Leader.

I've been undecided about whether or not I was going to keep Scamp. Our relocation to Craig is logistically rather difficult. I considered putting her up for adoption in Anchorage, after I got her to a vet for shots and spaying. The biggest problem was - and is - getting Scamp, in her crate, Cody, in his service dog harness, Shadow, in his carry-on shoulder bag, a suitcase, a backpack, and me all onto the plane to Oregon and then from the plane to the car. The trip from Oregon to Craig isn't as bad because we'll be taking the ferry. I finally decided that Scamp is coming with us no matter what. Dogs aren't disposable; the decision to adopt a dog is a lifelong commitment unless something truly monumental happens. Moving isn't that monumental, no matter how difficult the logistics are!

So, my little family will move together in about 3 weeks. We'll have 2-3 weeks of staying in hotels and kennels. That is to say I'll be staying in hotels, while Scamp and Shadow stay in kennels. Cody will spend time in both. We'll be in our new home late on July 31. No more free run of the island; they'll all be on leashes until I can get a fence put in. Not only is there a leash law, but there are black bears and wolves on the island. There are some places they'll be able to run and play, like on the beach. I think they'll be happy there. I think we'll all be happy there!

No comments:

Post a Comment