Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Where in the world is Atka?

As you can see from the map, Atka is one of the islands in the Aleutian archipelago. In fact, it's the next-to-the-last inhabited island. Adak is the last inhabited island. During WWII, Adak had a military base. Although the base is no longer active, many of the buildings from the base remain. The population of Adak is around 350 people. Atka is smaller, with only about 100 people year-round. The number fluctuates according to the season, since fishing is the biggest industry on the island.

With such a small population, the number of school-age children is likewise small. This year, we expect to have 12 students, evenly split between primary and secondary students. There must be at least 10 students to have a school.

I'm spending a few days in Anchorage on my way to Atka. Anchorage is the largest city in Alaska, though not the capital. The school district office is here, so I'm meeting the administrative people I'll be answering to. I'm also buying groceries and supplies to ship to Atka. The only store on the island is sort of like a convenience store, with a limited inventory of goods for sale. I leave in a couple of day for Dutch Harbor, where I'll buy perishable foods. Then, the next day, finally, I'll go to Atka.

The dogs and I have been living out of suitcases for the last month, since we left Zibo. It will be so nice to unpack!

1 comment:

  1. I'd say "you go, girl!", but you already did!

    It says "unkown Google", but it's me, Barbara BC. :)

    ReplyDelete