Sunday, September 6, 2015

Health and Wellness

My teaching partner, finally arrived on Atka Thursday. She had been stranded in Dutch Harbor since Sunday while the airline canceled the flight three days in a row! Immediately upon her arrival, we had a conference call with all the other employees of the school district: the superintendent, the teachers at the Adak school; a Dutch student teacher, also at Adak; and the business manager at the office in Anchorage. Among other things, we were told that all students in Kindergarten and 7th grade have to have TB tests.

On Friday, I took my partner for a tour of the village. Our destination was the clinic, to introduce ourselves to the community health nurse there, and arrange for the TB tests.

I found visiting the clinic to be an interesting experience and quite an education in rural health care. The nurse works under the direction of a doctor who is not in residence. He visits regularly, but I don't know how often. Medications are available for acute illnesses, but no prescription medications are available for chronic conditions. I'm not sure how the clinic is funded, but it will only offer care for wellness and chronic conditions to Alaskan Natives and Native Americans. The nurse was quick to assure us that we would be cared for in the event of an acute illness or an accident, but that we had to go elsewhere to find a primary care provider. I can't even get a TB test, though having just come from China and being new to the school system, I probably should. It's not required by law, so no test.

We both plan to stay for multiple years, unless we find that there's something we can't tolerate. The weather in the winter could end up being a deal-breaker, but neither of us will know until we go through it. However, we're both over 50. My partner is in better health than I am overall, but at our age, things are starting to wear out. It bothers me to think that being a resident of the island, as well as a member of the community, doesn't entitle me to use the only health care facility on the island. As much as I am trying to be understanding and respectful toward the native culture, I'm having a hard time accepting this situation as appropriate.

P.S.--Every place on the island is beautiful in one way or another, but the view from the clinic down to the bay is especially lovely (see photo).

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you need to find a doctor as close as possible and stock up on your meds, especially since you can't trust reliable delivery on a monthly basis.

    ReplyDelete